Skip to main content

TEDtalk Tuesday--an introduction

From my experience, the best way to start a new blog is to jump right in.  Today is Tuesday, which means that later today I get to sit by myself for two hours between classes, pretending to do homework while I'm actually watching people in and around the Atrium.  I figure that's as good a time to reflect as any.
So, no, this won't be your typical blog from my bed, which means I'm already going outside the parameters of why I established this blog in the first place. BUT, I did start watching the video I'm going to talk about before I went to sleep last night, and finished it when I woke up this morning.  Take that theme.


The video is a TEDtalk--which, if you've never heard of it, this guy gives a fairly short explanation of them, I suppose.  If you'd like to watch more TEDtalks, because you agree that they make you think, there's a link to all twelve-thousand of them over there in the bar to the right. -------------------->
or, you can just click here, and pick one at random.

In essence, a group of geniuses, thinkers, lead researchers, and general experts attend a conference to listen to other experts, researchers, thinkers and geniuses about a different area of expertise--in layman's terms.
Where is technology going? What makes us happy?  How does music affect us?  
How can we use ultrasound technology for surgery? How do ants find their way home?
How do we topple a dictator? How can gaming be a good teaching method?
...you get the picture.
some six-word stories that are supposed to sum up TEDtalks

And the best part is:  they record these lectures and post them online so the rest of us shmucks can watch them and THINK about the issues they bring up.  The purpose is to continue the conversation.  I'm a blogger and a writer; I'm ALL about continuing the conversation.

So here's the video for today:
Meet Daniel Kahneman, the inventor of Behavioral Economics.

I figure I'll let you watch it and marinate on the subject.
I'll post my own reflections while I'm watching the people outside the Atrium clumsily trip over bricks and look around wildly to make sure no one saw.  This blog post seems long enough.  I mean, I AM asking you to watch this guy talk about seemingly irrelevant things for 20 minutes and 7 seconds.  =)

Comments

  1. I LOVE Ted talks. They also have a podcast version, if you want something to listen to while doing other things. On the plane I listened to a researcher describe how babies learn, in utero, and how the researchers figure out these things. For instance, a baby recognizes its mother's voice within seconds of being born; it's the only voice it heard for nine months without the barrier of flesh.
    Anyway, so glad to meet a fellow TED addict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself so wrapped up in Ted talks that I need to focus on them entirely (or at least mostly), because I'll just end up that way anyway. However...walking to school with TED in my ear doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

    When I want to listen to podcasts, I typically turn to radiolab for an interesting story/conversation. I just learned who the CPR dummies are modeled after from them.

    And TED talks were the one thing I wanted to do consistently for this blog...But I've already missed one post! (on account of snow distractions) I'll have to remedy that later this week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment