Skip to main content

TEDtalk Tuesday...on Thursday.

Sorry guys.

I know it's not Tuesday.  It's not even Thursday anymore, as far as many of you are concerned.
Most of my excuses pertain to the recent PNW snowfall, and an onset of recklessness, laziness, procrastination, and a simple willingness to just be outside.

What was I saying about general recklessness?



I DID mean to post on Tuesday.  In fact, I watched several TEDtalks that day; videos ranging from a cool statistics program with a speaker who is like a sports commentator, to a pair of hilarious jugglers, a man who nearly died from healthy living, and a slew of videos about the brain and how it works, and how that will change computing.

So...I've been busy.  I just haven't blogged.





I gave you a bunch of links to my recent escapades through TEDland, and since I know 99% of you DIDN'T watch my last TED video, I figure I'll just skip to my thoughts and let you explore as you want this week.

The reason I watched so many TEDtalks on the brain was because I was looking for one talk in particular that I can't seem to find, though I feel like it should be part of the conversation (and slew of research that is involved in neuroscience).

The particular idea I'm interested in is the difference between reading on a screen versus reading in a book (other than the preposition used).

People do more than 50% of their reading online these days.  Probably way more than that, but I try to play it safe because I like reading books.  I want to know if there's a difference in the way we learn what we read--particularly how we retain the information that our eyes have just read? And if retention is better one way or another.

It seems to me that it's a fairly relevant question, considering that WWU has lowered the free print quota, and will be eliminating it completely by the time I graduate.  I've begun to read all my long documents for class online, as opposed to printing them out, and I no longer print out lecture notes for GURs (yeah, I still have one).
I anticipate this is what WWU's print usage will
 look like when they take the free quota away for good.

I had a conversation with Margi Fox, my technical writing instructor, about the difference between the Kindle and the iPad.  She said she greatly preferred the readability of a book on an iPad as opposed to a Kindle, and I proceeded to figure out why.  I couldn't help it.  The first thing my brain is trained to do is ask "why".
It's probably a remnant of my rebellious days when I'd receive a punishment, and immediately ask my parent "but why?" out of spite and delight at watching them sputter.  I escaped many minutes in my room because Dad couldn't properly rationalize his punishment.  "Why?" never really affected Mom at all.  I still ended up on time-out.

So I rationalized that Margi liked reading on the iPad better because it has that nice, tactile way of turning the page.  Swiping a finger across the screen and seeing the corner of the page feels MUCH more satisfying than clicking a button on the Kindle and watching letters disappear and reappear in a different order.

It's true, with every new reader out there, they try to make it a little more like a book. (personally, I'd rather have the book.  There's nothing more satisfying that seeing your progress in terms of how much you have left!)

But then Margi said she disliked reading on the Kindle because it felt "awkward".  And for those of us who are abstaining from readers in favor of books, we all know what she means.  You just don't feel as accomplished after reading a whole textbook on a screen, than seeing the physical abuse you put your book through while you were studying.  You can't throw an iPad across the room and feel better.  You'll probably feel worse.

whoops.  Book reaction.

And when I try to remember what I've learned on a screen versus what I've learned in a book, there's a huge difference in what facts I can recall from my long-term memory.  If you asked me for my favorite quote from The Once and Future King, I could flip open the book, rifle the pages a little, and show you exactly where that quote was.
If you asked me for my favorite quote that I've found and posted online, I doubt I'd be able to remember it.  I could click around my tumblr to see if that was where I put it, and if it wasn't there, I'd have to attempt to remember part of it to aid me in a google search.

It makes me wonder if our poor retention of digital spaces has to do with location.  (Now, I'm talking purely in the context of reading text.  Videos, movies, games and music also exist in digital spaces, but they're a different kind of learning altogether)  You've heard of locational memory, right?--when they tell you to study in the same classroom you'll take the test in, so that you can use visual cues to trigger your memory of learning the content?  I wonder if reading is something like that. You have visual cues that lead you to remember what you read. (probably why the "fill in the blank" quotation questions were the easiest, since you've "seen" the sentence before.)
Jeff Hawkins has a TEDtalk on how intelligence is based on our brain's ability to predict the future based on what it has encountered in the past, and I think that last comment is extremely relevant to that idea.
(Skip to 10:22 to see what I'm talking about)

I can recall my quote in a book more easily than I can online because I can visually see whereabouts I was in the story when I came across the quote, or perhaps the spine is bent a little more at that particular page, or it was dog-eared, or marked up...there was something special there that made that particular page different from the rest.

I thought perhaps that the screen worked the same way...that we remember things on the screen because there's something special about the webpage we're on that's different than some other webpage from the same parent site.  Maybe an ad off to the side made me laugh, and now that ad is what triggers the memory of the quote I read. But the trouble is---we do SO MUCH while we're online.  How is it that all our triggers aren't getting crossed and confused?
To find that same quote online, the fastest way would be to run a search for it.  (and to be honest, that is the quicker way...if you can remember enough of the quote).



Now, I don't know if I'm a good model for this question, as I've come to distrust my own memory over the last few years.  (Either I don't record the important things, or my memory really is just failing.)

So I turned to a long-time friend of mine and posed the same question.

He came up with a completely different conclusion, that I hadn't even considered (as he usually does).  He said that perhaps it's not the retention that is affected by the medium in which we chose to do our reading, but the way we learn to reference things.
For example, I was taught from an early age to learn through reading, so it's only natural for me to "feel awkward" learning from a digital device.  I intuitively know all the ways to most easily reference the information in a book, whereas reading from a Kindle or iPad is not as familiar.

I see what his point is, and I think:
they're just different ways of learning...

When we read from books, we internalize the information as a focused whole, at least in comparison to how we digest digital material.  The information I get from a book exists, physically, between two covers.  The information I get from a reader, or the internet, doesn't have physical boundaries.  And so we learn how to navigate each learning tool differently:  I'm exceedingly good at remembering what's written in a book because I know I'll need to remember it.  I don't put as much effort into remembering what I learn online because I know it'll be there.  I use the internet as a reference tool, not as a teaching tool that I need to internalize.


Which do you remember better?
Those things you read in books, or those things you read digitally?


Comments

  1. My dad always just ignored me when I asked why I was in trouble, and my mom would always just reply with "Because I am evil! Now go to your room!"

    As for my memory when it comes to books or digital media I would say it really depends on what I am reading and what my interest level is. Maybe this ties into my ADD but I tend to be able to remember where I read things and what they said quite well when I was enjoying what I was reading or particularly interested in what it was.

    For example I tend to look things up on Wikipedia constantly, for instance I was interested in daily multivitamins yesterday and wanted to find out the positives and negatives of taking them. I spent over an hour reading about them and can remember all the important things I cataloged away in my brain. I believe I could also find where I read that information online pretty quickly.

    Now if I am reading a random thing online a class has required me to read I don't care about I will likely forget everything about it as soon as I stand up from my computer desk.

    I think the same thing goes for books. I have to read very slowly, and really concentrate to remember things from many of my textbooks when I was taking an electronics class for example. And I also tend to have to look through an entire chapter to find something I need.

    However when I think back on The Wheel of Time series (which I am currently about half way through) I can remember specific quotes, places, and events and could find them quite quickly. Even though each book is around 1000 pages and a chapter in one of my electronics textbooks is 30 pages.

    Like I said though, this is probably strongly affected by my ADD, as well as the fact that I have always used computers heavily for all sort of things for as long as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wonder how I'm going to respond to my children's questions. Your mom was certainly clever about it. Maybe I'll steal her line sometime. =P

      I've gotten lots of responses referring to memory and interest, and I completely agree with them--especially in reference to laughter. I feel like laughter is one of the best ways to encourage memory retention, as the information is then attached to a happy chemical when it's stored, and is then a pleasure to recall. Emotion, then, seems to be my best trigger for memories.

      But I was wondering about memory retention on a far more basic level: if it's possible, to remove all other variables other than the medium with which we choose to read.

      And I was saying in class (ironic that Hamlet's Blackberry discusses these very ideas, despite me not having read them before I wrote the post), I wonder if we are not just shifting to a new kind of memory--a knowledge based on how we reference things (the sequence of keys and clicks to get to a certain bit of info), rather than whether or not we can recall them from our own brains. So, is the definition of "knowledge" changing?
      -Ashley

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this thoughtful post Ashley! (If I had read it before class Friday I would have made you read it aloud, close call!)

    I appreciate the way you describe the tactile experience of reading a book; when I was looking through my ancient Collected Essays of E.B.White for my other class today, I had such tenderness for that battered book, the water stains, the pages coming unglued. I'd loved that book to death. E-books remain pristine, unaffected by our interaction with them, and that's why they still seem a little "cold" to me.

    Blogs, however, are so lively, that I feel like I'm interacting with them in quite a tactile way.

    I think I remember things better in print, simply because it's an object that I can picture in my head. I'll bookmark things online, but often I'll come across bookmarks--even just a few weeks later--and have no idea why I bookmarked them! They seem a little more insubstantial (so far...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close call is right! It was so strange reading Hamlet's Blackberry after I wrote this post, and then going into class and continuing the matter.
      The coldness of an e-book is the same reason I haven't gotten a mobile device yet. What they really need is to smell like a proper book, and I might be more sold on buying one (doubtful, but it'd be interesting!)

      Blogging, for me, seems a little bit different than a book. Books allow us to go on and on as writers, taking our readers by the hand and leading them into new worlds, and feeding them new ideas. Their challenge is managing to keep our readers' attentions. And when we do manage to do so--it's like the reader can finally breathe again, as if for the whole book, they were holding their breaths.

      I don't get that feeling when I read blogs. In fact, I haven't read anything online that has kept me rapt for such a long period that reading a book seems almost designed to do. With every plot twist, and more importantly, every page turn, and the fact that I can visibly see the story dwindling away feeds endorphins to my brain that even the most interesting things online cannot replicate for me.

      I've bookmarked so many things in my lifetime, that I rarely look at my bookmarks anymore. Sure, I still remember why they were interesting, and I remember that I bookmarked them so I could finish reading them later, but I never go back. There's always other stuff to do. So in that sense, the internet is very transitory for me. When I'm there, I'm always on the go--clicking around and multitasking as pages load, and such.

      I think you remember things the same way I do: as a picture in my head. When I recall memories of conversations with my friends, I can almost always remember where I was exactly when the sentence was said (and I find this especially true for conversations in the car).

      This isn't the same for that friend of mine. He has allowed his brain to adapt to the digital space so well, that he remembers anything he's seen on screen. That goes for movies, TV shows online, video games and any trivia he picks up from his meanderings across the internet. But he doesn't usually remember what it's from (movie quotes he can pair with movies, but random trivia, he has no idea where it comes from.)

      I know there are people who learn by writing or watching, and those who learn by reading, or listening...but I wonder if there isn't a different kind of learning now, with the dawn of the internet...or if it's just a mutation from that ability to learn by "watching"...

      Delete
  3. Great post. My thinking about reading venues has evolved since our conversation, thanks to the book I'm reading--"The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains" by Nicholas Carr. Now I'm even more convinced that a physical book gives us an experience that an e-book will never offer. Carr says that a different part of the brain is activated depending on where and how we read something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look into that book! Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete

Post a Comment