Skip to main content

Florence Friday: Final Project Outline

Happy Florence Friday Everyone!


This is my last post as part of the class--I'll continue posting on a regular schedule (fingers crossed)--and in it I'll detail what my final project for this blogging class is going to be.


In essence, I intend to make my very own travel guide to Florence, and ultimately, Italy.  In fact, the book will be in two parts:

  1. I'm currently working on the first half: The travel guide.  
    • I'm compiling a list of important dates 
      • (like festivals, religious holidays, and special days that Museums aren't in operation)
    • I have a map of the current locations of my favorite Italian car manufacturers.
      • (based on my last Florence Friday post)
    • I have a basic map of Florence and Tuscany 
      • It will most likely be folded-in, accordion style.
      • (preferably with a star for my home, and a star for my school.)
      • (More stars will pop up over the time I'm there too, I expect.)
    • A map of transportation locations 
      • busses, trains, bicycles, segways...
    • Following the maps, I have a printed bucket list that goes city by city
      • (lists all the major attractions, and page references if I have them)
      • I'll add a blank page there to add more bucket list things that I hear about while I'm over there.
    • Following this bucket list ought to follow a page of "restaurants to visit"
      • I've already had a few recommended to me
    • A page describing the types of bread, wine and meat available.
      • so I know what I'm ordering.
    • I also intend to have a section of appendix-style reference material
      • how to make calls in Italy
      • Italian etiquette rules (about tipping, about speech volume, etc.)
      • survival phrases
      • the meaning of larger roman numerals
      • Things that I might take for granted that are different
      • Useful Italian Phone numbers
    • A page of visitor secrets
      • I know quite a few people who have been to Italy and have their own secret spaces that they like to share.  
      • I want to be able to add to this list.
  2. The second half is going to be "Blank": My journal.
    1. I've always liked the idea of having a half-journal travel guide.  I mean, you'll really want to be writing in your travel guide anyway, so why not put both in one spot?
      • The "typed" part of this section is going to consist of some inspirational TEDquotes that I've collected.  There's also more here on the TED.com site
      • It will also have my Sunday Scribbles drawings in the corners of the pages.  
        • and some new designs that I've been working on

__________________________________________________________________________________________________


My issue with this project is that it's gotten really BIG.  

NO.  


I thought perhaps that by leaving the second section "blank", I could get away with just worrying about the research part.  

While I do think it's still possible, I want to be able to add pages to this book without it looking cheap.

That essentially means that I don't want to use a three-ring binder, and I don't want to bind my pages together with a hole punch and a clasp-ring.




This pickiness on my part also means that the binding itself is bound to take a ton of time.  I mean, just look at this guy.  He's got his own special tool to make all the pages spaced out, and he sews in every 1page signature ONE-AT-A-TIME.  >.<  The hand-sewing he's doing is called "Chord classic style", and I really really really want to make a book this way someday.  


That was the first video I watched on binding.   
Since then, I've been researching types of binding that might allow me to add more signatures easily.  One of them is called Japanese Stab Binding, and the other is called Coptic Binding.
japanese-style stab binding
coptic binding with a chain-stitch


What I really like about the coptic binding is that the book can essentially be opened up 360 degrees.  That means I can have it sit flat on a table and it'll stay (hypothetically).


Unfortunately, of the two types of stitching above, the coptic takes the most time, and thus makes it more difficult to add more signatures over time.  I think that's why I'm going with the Japanese Style stab binding.
cooler japanese-style stab binding
Hooray!!


So...I've got a lot of the research done.  Currently I'm formatting pages on my computer to put information on them, but I'm just not sure what shape to make this book.  Do you guys have any suggestions for size?
I'll be carrying it in a bag (messenger/backpack style) most likely.  Purse sometimes?  I dunno.

With any luck, I'll be able to create at least some parts of the first section and bind it with the blank pages as my "final project".  I'll shoot for a few signatures (clumps of pages in a book).


__________________________________________________________________________________________________


Oh, P.S.
I've gotten responses from Mr. Franco's boss, as well as the school I'm going to attend...but more on that later.  =)

Happy Florence Friday!

Comments