Skip to main content

Florence Friday: Italian (sports?) Cars

So...it's 2am and I just got into bed after leaving a wonderful party with some friends who don't hang out nearly often enough.  =)  I hope you all got home safely!  =P


You know the rule--I haven't gone to sleep, therefore, it's still Friday, and I'm still doing Florence Friday, despite being rather exhausted.  My exhaustion spawns from the upcoming week, and all the things I need to finish for classes, not necessarily from the wee hour at which I am writing.  But that, dear readers, is a rant for another time.  Maybe I'll even include a list.




For those of you who know me, you know that I got into cars because a boy I liked liked cars--I've acquired quite a few passions because of boys--specifically, this car.  The Lamborghini Gallardo.  I'm quite fond of it in orange, but I believe Jeffo would prefer his as a shade of white (it's a specific white, I can't remember), though he doesn't mind looking at it in other colors as well.


Here's my deal.  I love the color and the body work.  I love the low profile, high traction tires.  I love the computer genius involved in the shifting and balancing of chemicals.  I love the complexity of the engine, and how so many parts can coincide and work together so well in such a small space.  I love the ratio of the brake calipers to disks.  I love the speed, and especially the growl of the accelerating engine.
I love the genius build into every hand-polished supercar.


But mostly, I love the possibilities. There's something magical and sci-fi-esque about this car that makes you feel like if [when] you ever sit in that front seat, that it's guaranteed to take you somewhere you've never been before.


The Italians know how to build their cars.  (That's not to say they're the only ones who know how to build cars, because I have a Subaru I'm very much in love with, and we have Tesla here in the states that's worth some ogling as well.)


It's just that...look at what brands of beauty are created to be tested in the Tuscan countryside:

1969 Tesla Duetto Spider
I think my boss owns this one.

2002 Ferrari Enzo:
12 cylinder, Formula One style engine

I think I will continue this post in the morning... I'm finally tired...I do promise more car photos though.

*************************3/4/12 Addition*************************

Good morning everyone.  I'm feeling very guilty as I've watched my pageview count go from 856 to 893 in the last 3 days, and I haven't even finished this yet.  So here is me finishing it.


Maserati Grantourismo s
0-62mph in 5.2 seconds
Personally, I think the grill on most Maseratis
--especially the Grantourismo--make it look like a shark-car


Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4
I saw this in beauty at a consumer car show last Oct.

an old Fiat 500,
probably still roaming the streets of Italy

Fiat is the consumer car company of Italy.  They're based out of Torino.  
Lamborghini has been sold to Audi, so it's technically a german car company, but the less than 3000 cars that come off the assembly line are still assembled in Bologna.
Maserati seems to be based in Modena, though it began in Bologna.
Ferrari SpA is in Maranello, and the Enzo above is named after their founder: Enzo Ferrari.
Alfa Romeo was founded in Milan, but now their headquarters is in Turin, with Fiat.

Someday, this will be a map.  And someday, I will visit all these assembly lines and take tours.  =)


Perhaps they'll even let me test drive.



Out of that whole list, I think I like Fiats the least of all.  They do fit right into the Italian culture, though.  They're really just 2-person vehicles.  I don't know why they insist on including a back seat when it's impossible to fit in it.


I've never gotten the opportunity to sit in a Lamborghini--and though the two Aventadors on this page may suggest I'm particularly attracted to it, I can only imagine what it's like to sit inside.  Like sitting atop a rocket, I suppose.


Maserati's look like sharks, as I said before, so I'm not particularly attracted to their body kits.  They're a little large for my taste.

And I've come to like the scream of a Ferrari engine.  It just looks so sleek from the back------------>>>>>>>>







Thanks for joining me for a Florence Friday-Sunday weekend!


and thanks to Jeff for introducing me to the beauty of the Italian machine with the Lambo Gallardo. =)
....what does SpA. stand for?  I still haven't figured that out, and my research on the Italian manufacturers was pretty quickly done, to be honest.


***aha! SpA stands for "Societa Per Azioni" in Italian, and it essentially means "shared company"...which refers to (I think) the fact that none of these car companies can stand on their own, and they own certain percentages of one another.  ie: Chrysler owns part of Lamborghini.

Comments

  1. What a terrifically abrupt ending! Hope you slept well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry...I was literally having to hold my eyelids open at that point. I'll finish it up here in a bit. =)

      Delete
  2. i just wrote a post about exhaustion and it included a list :] i reasoned writing a list "because i'm oh so too tired like a bicycle to elaborate." i like the cars and i like that i can relate to liking things because a boy likes them and i like him.

    also, have you ever thought about writing for a car company? your description and "but mostly, i like the possibilities" sounds straight out of marketing and I LIKE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee! =D =D =D

      Your bicycle pun made me laugh. =)
      Yeah, I especially like it when you like things because the boy likes them and then you stop liking him, but keep liking the things.

      And I have thought of writing promotional ads for car companies. That falls within the scope of "publishing"---though I'm not sure what such a position would be called. It's definitely closer to marketing though. =/

      I've thought of doing tech writing for car companies, though. I do have a little bit of an engineering background.

      Delete

Post a Comment