Skip to main content

Florence Friday: Mr. Franco, Mr. Carlo, Clara, and "The Secretary"

All right everyone.  Finals are over, and despite my new effort to get to bed at a decent hour (as my new schedule doesn't enable me to sleep in until noon anymore), I suppose I can pull out a Florence Friday that's more of an update.  It's about time.  =)


In my last Florence Friday, I told you all that 2 of 2 emails that I sent out after Mr. Franco's response to me have been answered.


Since my letter to Mr. Franco was so carelessly responded to, I decided not to put too much effort into the email to his superior in Washington D.C.

Mind you, I just copied and pasted his name from somewhere else.
I didn't even make the effort to insert that special symbol over the "a" in his name.
I actually don't know if Mr. Carlo here is Mr. Franco's superior--in fact, I'm almost sure he isn't.  But just because I emailed someone in D.C. sure made me feel like I was contacting Mr. Franco's superior.  =P


I did, however, give Mr. Carlo the benefit of three whole sentences on my part.  And in return, he sent me a whole paragraph.  with links. It was beautiful.

Doesn't that just look more official than Mr. Franco's
On the one hand it was nice that this guy, despite the fact that he only had partial answers for me, took the time to write me an informational paragraph and include links and emails for more information automatically ranks him higher than Mr. Franco in my eyes.  Thank you, Mr. Carlo.  You're the best.  =)


On the other, I'm also slightly creeped out that he knew to send me to the San Fransisco consulate, despite me not saying anything about being on the West coast.  Think he got the info from the ISPs, or maybe he's got close contact with the CIA.  =)


I do plan on being in more regular contact with the San Fransisco Consulate general, but not just yet. I have to take things slowly...


So I decided to email the school with a few of the questions that have been burning my brainspace, and include the one about workstudy as well.
I tried to keep things simple for them, as their website doesn't appear to be translated into English very well...which, I admit, is concerning (since supposedly they teach classes in English).


It actually took them a while to answer me, but once I sent them a duplicate of the same email I had sent 7 days earlier, they responded within the next few hours.  The first email I sent was poorly timed, I guess.  Here is their quipped response to my email (my words are in purple).


looks shady, don't it?

It's really strange.  If I hadn't gotten Mr. Carlo's email on the same day, I would have thought that this school's answers were as unsatisfactory as Mr. Franco's.  But since they practically arrived at the same time, I figured that Mr. Franco was probably wrong, and I can do around 20 hrs of workstudy while I'm going to school there---which is AWESOME.  =D


But on the other hand, doesn't getting into this school seem a little too easy?
And who the hell signs an email with "The Secretary"?



Lucky for me, I found another school in Florence that also teaches Graphic Design.  They're way  more prompt in responding to emails, and much more "English friendly."



I emailed them back in December and heard from them the very next day.  It was cool.  Too bad their tuition is slightly steeper than FDA--They'll also probably require me to get another 4-year degree...which I don't need.


Since all this drama happened, I've registered for my final quarter at Western, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to complete my newly-acquired TESL minor.  I took a 2-credit TESL class this quarter, and probably did more than 2 credits worth of work.  I wasn't happy with it, and on top of it all, I discovered that I genuinely don't like teaching.  So I won't be registering for more TESL classes in the near future.  I just have to tell them that.


I may end up going back to WWU for the TESL certificate just before I go to Italy...but only if I can't find another job.  Until then, I'll just be a regular old English major graduating in June with mere dreams of the future.  =)


Happy Florence Friday, everyone! (And Happy St. Patrick's Day!)

Comments