Skip to main content

Florence Friday: Awesome friends

So...this post is about awesome friends. Mostly because I got the content from this post from an awesome, awesome friend of mine, who also happens to enjoy daydreaming about Italy. Except that he wants to go back to live there...I think I only want an extended stay.


He sent me this link the other day.
100 Things to Know if You're Going to Italy
click on it. It's gigantic for a reason. You know you want to.


I haven't gotten through the whole list yet, but #84 has pretty much established that I'm not going to be marrying an Italian man. I'm also probably not going to get married in Italy.

"#84: Purple being the color of Lent, it is considered a color that brings bad luck. Avoid the darker purple hues for evenings at the theatre, and it's definitely a forbidden color at weddings!"

Evidently, I need to brush up on my Catholic "What Not To Wear". A few of my awesome friends over here would be stunned if I didn't have purple as a wedding color. It doesn't help things that it's only been my favorite color since the second grade.


THE BEST BOOK.
Totally unrelated to the reason purple
 is my favorite color though.

Bonus points to you if you know which book I'm talking about. Also, minus points if you noticed that the color they used in the book is actually more of a shade of fuschia. I choose to ignore that particular color error...


The writer of this blog is particularly entertaining. I can't decide if she's an American who now lives in Italy, or if she's an Italian who lived in the States for a little while. Either way, the way she phrases some of her rules is really entertaining, and she's got some snark on occasion that made this page particularly smile-inducing to read.
"#99: Eating in the car is unheard of. Italians would never do such a coveted and social thing like eating in the most unsocial place of all, the car." 
 Which is directly followed by this:
"#100: However, that doesn't mean Italians don't like their cars!! Actually, cars are a coveted sign of social status. As a consequence, garbage that you produce in the car gets taken out immediately. You will see people throwing things directly outside the window. As long as the car is clean, who cares about littering?"

This cracks me up, especially considering #86, which states that it's perfectly acceptable to pull over on the side of the road to take a pee (Men do it all the time. It says nothing of women). Perhaps that increases the biodegradability of the trash those other people just ejected from their car.


There are a bunch of other rules: pesto does not belong on anything but pasta al pesto. Chicken is never eaten with pasta. Pork is the only appropriate meat for a pizza. White sauce (alfredo sauce) is not Italian--I won't find it there. Lines don't exist if you aren't outspoken enough to claim your place. Having upside down bread (on the table) is unlucky and disrespectful to the restaurant owner. Young Italians (though they know some) won't speak English because they're embarrassed! "Clearance" sales never take off more than 20%. =( And one last one: Coffee is not served in paper cups--it is not even considered a to-go item (along the same vein, theirs are not the Frappaccinos you were looking for.)


One more reason I won't be getting married in Italy? #47
At weddings, they serve something like 15 courses, and you're just sitting there, eating, for 5-6 hours.
My sister may not have a problem with that but...with two huge families to feed, and with potential Italian wedding crashers, how expensive would that be? Yeesh. No thanks. I like my buffet and dancing.  =P




Have I shown you this one yet? perhaps. But it's beautiful nonetheless. I can't wait to be there.
Happy Florence Friday! (at 3am on Saturday, whoops!) Thanks for reading, everyone.



P.S. On account of this post being about awesome friends, I thought I'd post this spoken word poem for all my awesome friends out there in the far (and close) reaches of the world. I miss you all dearly, and I dearly love this poem.




Comments