Skip to main content

Florence Friday: Jobs

I've been busy updating resumes for the last week, trying to find a job that I feel qualified for, here in the states...hopefully this is the job that'll pay for Italy. Hopefully.

So far, my efforts have been focused more on the tech businesses (ehem...Microsoft). I still dream of working at Google Seattle...but I combed through their jobs pages and could not find anything I could even remotely hope of getting an interview for (they need a lot of engineers, and a lot of business people). I think it's just a matter of timing my entry right. Also, I'm not hoping for my dream job now. Just one that I find intellectually challenging (and thus, fun).


So as I'm completing my resumes, I begin to wonder 1) What the heck I'm going to write for today's Florence Friday, and 2) what on earth would I put on a resume in Italy?


So a quick google search leads me to this page, which I copied and pasted to my Italy tumblr so I could find it again.  Nevermind that their mascot is a little alien in a spaceship--implying that I am a little green one-eyed alien in a spaceship--the website is turning out to be a really good resource.


I haven't fact-checked anything yet, or even read the "About Us" page to see how legit their are. But their writing sounds matter-of-fact, and they have a list of pretty helpful apps if they actually work. They must be a German company (since the two language choices are English and German), but impressively, they have these helpful websites for 56 different countries. It even looks like they have a forum community, but I wonder how often locals use it.  >.<


I'm more interested in their "Guides" tab, which lists topics ranging from Visas and Permits to Jobs and Health. I'll need a little more time to explore, but after a brief skim through the jobs page, it affirms the fact that Italy is going through a recession and that jobs are scarce. Good news, though: university students and young children always need English teachers, and with a TEFL certificate, I can work in most of the language academies there. Without a TEFL certificate, and with my grammar knowledge, I can score by-the-hour, under-the-table money for private tutoring.
and here's where JustLanded won me over:

screenshot from JustLanded.com/english/Italy

O_O Noted.

justlanded.com
I'd like to explore the site now...and look up the word "expatriate" aka "expat" by this website


(sidenote: I linked you to wikipedia, my most favorite source for quick information. PLEASE DONATE to their fundraiser. They've gotta pay rent and electricity to house their servers of knowledge! Without power, there is no knowledge. How ironic is that?)




Anyway, I know these are what you really come here for, and I'll leave you with another pretty picture. TGIF everyone.

NASA photograph. Looks like they've got one hell of a nightlife.
I'm on a bit of a space kick right now.
Just watched a documentary on The Milky Way on NOVA.
 

Comments