Skip to main content

TEDtalk Tuesday: Gaming to increase lifespan


This lovely lady's name is Jane McGonigal. She's a game designer who has spoken at TED conferences before, but recently had a pretty bad experience with brain trauma. 


I like her particularly because she starts off her talk letting us know that she plays her life as a game. She's a gamer I relate particularly well to. She likes goals. She likes secret missions and side objectives (the side objectives are my favorite. I often play those before I even get to the main storyline). And she treats this talk the same way. Her goal is to extend our lifespan by 7.6 minutes. The only downside of this goal is its measurability...but it's a nice way to begin a talk.  


For now, I'm just going to post the talk...seeing as it's 1am already. I'll do a follow-up either tomorrow or the next day(eek! double post on Friday!), but this week has really been a busy one. So, I'm treating it like a game, and hitting as many objectives as I can without skipping any or losing points for letting my NPCs accidentally die (it's not my fault I'm not efficient enough to protect them!)


So today I had an interview, had a nice long skype chat with my traveling best friend, and went shopping. (I lose points here because I'll be late submitting my customary thank-you email for the interview.)  But, I'm trying to level-up my christmas gift shopping.  


Tomorrow, I have an early morning to help a friend get a permit, then I'm volunteering at the high school for the second time this week, and then I'm watching my sister's bball game, and finally, I'm socializing at another friend's get-together. Hooray I've got my social life back!  Sidequest for tomorrow is finding and buying a final xmas present to get it out in the mail to Utah...bonus points if I get it there in time for xmas.  
More bonus points if I don't pass out before the day is done, or crash from sleep deprivation on the way home from the party.


But, in all the hustling and bustling, I'll find time *somewhere* to reflect on this talk. It was recommended to me by my most influential professor, and it deserves a good, hearty discussion--not to mention that every time I watch it, I add 7.6 minutes to my life.  For now, enjoy!


And happy TEDtalk Tuesday!

Comments